Thursday, March 1, 2012

Brutal



Private Residence, Hellebaek, Denmark, 1953



New Technical College, Portadown, Co. Armagh, 1976



Estée Lauder Laboratories, Melville, New York, 1964-66



Education Wing Expansion, Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, Ohio, 1967-70



Biblioteca Nacional de la República, Buenos Aires, Argentina


It is winter now. Since there is snow on the ground and a cold wind blowing it felt like a good time to post some dreary concrete buildings. Many people are pretty down on brutalist architecture, and I must admit I don't find it particularly uplifting or optimistic, but it does provide a lot of scope for the imagination. I picture a futurist military state; something Orwellian. With the grey of the snow and sky these days I find my mind wanders effortlessly into that world.

All photos from fuckyeahbrutalism.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment