Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Does This Sound Good



jars of artificial flavor



beef foam



barbecue tomato jam and matcha lime emulsion



kabocha coconut milk and sweet curry emulsion



morel icewine emulsion and walnut panko toast



mincemeat caramel and butternut squash emulsion



molecular bruschetta


Having learned today that one of my studio mates used to know the son of the inventor of the Nacho Cheese Flavor I immediately went home to find out how artificial flavors are developed and if I could go ahead and get in on that to make my first million. As usual, I got distracted by looking at pictures of food and ultimately landed back on molecular gastronomy, the strange sibling of what I can only refer to as normal food science(?) Molecular gastronomy utilizes the chemical reactions between foodstuffs, various food additives, and cooking techniques. This is fascinating to me for a variety of reasons, for instance, I can draw some parallels between my ceramic process and this particular subdivision of food science as well as the aesthetic qualities and the way these various delicacies are documented. But what I find particularly fascinating is that people eat these things and are not deterred by the term "beef foam". Maybe I have a narrow mind, but one of the best things about beef is that it's not foamy. Having had the food-texture-as-a-serious-deal-breaker discussion with a variety of people, I once again find it appropriate to reaffirm my declaration that while these are very few tastes I find inedible, when it comes to consistency I have rules. Savory gels are definitely out, as are foams, but if the canned ras malai shared at dinner one night at Medalta is any indication, I suppose I'll eat almost anything once.

Images:
1
2
3-6
7

No comments:

Post a Comment