Monday, November 5, 2012

October Wrap Up



It's a bit late, but better than never. It has been another busy month a Lillstreet and it is hard to believe my time here is already one sixth gone by. The image about is a cake of glaze that I let dry in a yogurt container and nestled into some Grolleg slip poured into a styrofoam meat tray.



My studio is usually overflowing with stuff (there is perhaps no better term) and I routinely find items left for my on my shelves from fellow ceramic artists. The word is spreading that I am happy to dispose of other people's trash in the name of art.



I spend a fair amount of time cooking delicious things to eat and have been bringing my recyclables (or in the case of styrofoam, non-recyclables) to the studio to use as molds in place of plaster. This is helpful for several reason, the first two of which are that it allows me to avoid purchasing plaster and also I do not like making plaster molds. I'd rather mix it into ceramic materials and put it in a kiln. Also it offers a handy concept in that I am using trash to make functional objects.



Occasionally boxes of goods are donated to the studio and in this wonderful case (and one case of misunderstanding) I now have 70 pounds of spodumene and many jars and bags of Ferro and Mason stains at my disposal.



Of course there is no better way to ensure awesomeness in ceramics and my general happiness than to take all these things, mix it into a batter (of sorts) and leave it to dry in molds and buckets.



Also I have been collecting wadding from the soda kiln in an effort to garnish an array of pastries that will go on sale at the end of November. Please come buy them, I am in fact a poor artist and they come in their own pastry box complete with tissue and a business car. Which is not featured in the image above. That is in fact a combination of the non-garnish wadding mixed with sink sludge and molded into a plastic lid. I have no idea what to expect from this thing.

Stay tuned in November for images of new things in various stages of completion. I have finally amassed enough things to fire the upstairs gas kiln and I am anticipating some very interesting results.

No comments:

Post a Comment